The below are guides to some of the most common issues people have when using or installing the Outlook Add-in
What versions of Windows / Office do you support for the OpenCRM Outlook Add-in?
The Outlook add-in is supported on any version of Office/Outlook from 2003 up to Outlook/Office 2013 (32 bit) and Windows XP up to Windows 7 (64 or 32 bit).
It should also work on Windows 8 but due to the infancy of the operating system we have come across some issues here.
Due to changes in components shipped with Office 2013, some manual intervention may be required following the standard setup process. Contact the OpenCRM support team for assistance in this instance.
Installation of the Outlook Add-in on Virtual machines and Parallels for Mac should work, but is not officially supported.
We do not support 64bit Office of any version.
Associate with OpenCRM doesn't auto-search for Contact and after conversion subject and dates are blank
You need to upgrade the Outlook Add-in to the latest version:
When I copy and paste an email address from Outlook into OpenCRM my emails dont send, why is this?
Generally when you copy an email address from Outlook (right click - copy address) and you paste this into any data field you might notice that this copies more information than just the email address, it often copies ;
Persons Name < firstname.lastname@example.org >
It is this format that will cause problems when you try to email from OpenCRM.
Note : When you save the record the email address will show correctly as the screen display code automatically displays the correct format and removes everything before the < bracket and everything after the > character.
The answer is to first of all check to see if the format of the email address is as above and if it is then edit the record and remove everything but the conventional format ;
Outlook Add-in - Login issue - You must specify a valid username and password - error.
One of the things that can cause a problem when you login to OpenCRM from the Outlook Add-in is you will receive an error saying "You must specify a valid username and password".
This can be caused by not having the correct username and password entered into the add-in login screen, however, one thing to bear in mind is that attempts to login from any location, including the Outlook Add-in, can trip the security checks within OpenCRM. If you enter the wrong password into the Outlook Addin login box you could LOCK your account. The same error message is returned regardless of the wrong username / password combination OR having your account LOCKED.
You should check that you are able to login to your account using the normally Web Based method to be sure that your account is accessible. Should you lock your account you will need to speak to an Administrator so that they can unlock your account.
I have a problem with the synchronisation of Contacts / Calendar in the Outlook Add-in and I want to reset the sync
Providing all of your Outlook contact data has been stored in OpenCRM, the best and simplest thing to do is to bring all of the data back down from OpenCRM. To do this, you need to do the following:
How do I prevent my email client from leaving copies of messages on the server? How do I configure my email client to delete downloaded emails from the server? I am unable to receive emails and senders are getting bounce backs / rejection emails saying that my mailbox is over quota what should I do?
If using Outlook Express or Windows Mail or Live Mail:
Go to Tools then 'Account's, select your email account and click 'Properties' and then 'Advanced', under 'Delivery' ensure 'Leave a copy of messages on the server' is unchecked and click 'OK'
Go to 'Tools', then 'Account Settings', select the email account and click 'Change' then click 'More Settings' then click the 'Advanced' tab, under 'Delivery' ensure 'Leave a copy of messages on the server' is unchecked and click 'OK', 'Next' and then 'Finish'
Error "System Files are out of date" when trying to install the Outlook Add-in.
Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setup again. Click cancel to exit setup without updating system files.Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setup again. Click cancel to exit setup without updating system files.
If you receive the above error message when trying to install the Outlook add-in, you can try the following to correct this. If you are not comfortable with this procedure, please contact the OpenCRM support team.
In the files received with the installation package, is a file called SETUP.LST.
1. Right click this file and choose "Open With" and then "Notepad"
2. Remove the following line from underneath the heading "[Setup1 Files]"
File18email@example.com,$(WinSysPath),$(DLLSelfRegister),$(Shared),4/26/13 1:10:13 PM,1766912,10.0.9200.16540
3. And rename the final line under this heading accordingly:
File19firstname.lastname@example.org,$(AppPath),$(DLLSelfRegister),,4/26/13 11:02:34 PM,368640,184.108.40.206
File18email@example.com,$(AppPath),$(DLLSelfRegister),,4/26/13 11:02:34 PM,368640,220.127.116.11
4. This should allow you to run the install file. You may receive a number of errors during the install process. Click "ignore" on each of these errors. The setup should then complete and the add-in should be visible and working in Outlook.
I am trying to install the Outlook add-in and get this message, what does it mean?: Outlook Add-in - Error while initialising log file
This message means that the add-in is unable to access the folder which contains its log files. This is almost always due to permissions on the required folder, or restrictive permissions on the PC or local user account.
There are a number of possible fixes to this issue:
1. Install the Add-in to a directory you have full permission on - a good example here would be the "My Documents" folder (c:/users/username/Documents in Windows Vista onwards)
2. If that doesn't work - or alternatively - ensure that the user which you are logged in as has full system administrator privileges ON THE LOCAL PC ACCOUNT (i.e. not just the domain account). Install and log in for the first time using this account. Following this, admin access can be revoked.
3. If all the above fails, you can follow these instructions to allow the add-in to write it's log files to it's installation directory.
You may also be interested in:
- Outlook add-in user configuration options
- What options are available for syncing Emails, Contacts and Calendar items between OpenCRM and other applications?
- How to use the Outlook Add-in with OpenCRM. How to sync Contacts, Calender entries and Emails between Outlook and OpenCRM using the Outlook Add-in.
- What methods can I use to sync Google Calendar and Contacts with Outlook?
- Sync Contacts and Calendars between OpenCRM and third party applications.
- I want to see a copy of any emails I send from OpenCRM within my Sent Items Folder in Outlook?
- How do I prevent my email client from leaving copies of messages on the server? How do I configure my email client to delete downloaded emails from the server? I am unable to receive emails and senders are getting bounce backs / rejection emails saying that my mailbox is over quota what should I do?
- How can I do a one-way sync of my OpenCRM contacts to Outlook? Alternative Outlook add-in contact synchronisation component.
- How do I Install the Outlook Add-In?